Thursday, January 3, 2008

Thanks

We are 3 days into 2008 (平成20年), and already I have found a lot for which I can be grateful, a lot that make this shiny New Year special. We were driving out to Kushiro to visit my In-Law's when we spun out on an icy patch and went straight into a guard-rail on the expressway exit near Yubari. No one was hurt, and the only damage was to our tough little Toyota Sienta. It was the second ambulance ride for my poor 2-year old son in the space of a week, but thankfully, in both cases there was nothing wrong.

Family. Friends. All the people you love. That's what really matters. All else can be replaced.

2 comments:

E M said...

Glad to hear that everyone was OK. Do they deice the freeways up there? I remember that the roads in Sapporo were not deiced, so it was practically a game of bumpercars in the intersections after the snow had been compacted into 2 or 3 inches of ice.

Buruzaemon said...

They were sprinkling de-icing agent (looks like fertilizer) that day.

The real cause, however was this: we braked going into an icy turn.

Never, ever do that. Even with full-time 4WD, I think that at > 40 kph, any car will start to slide out.